Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Not a morning person.

I'm really not a morning person.  I don't mind being up early, particularly, but I am not mentally or physically competent until at least 10am.  Six AM, alas, is when I have time to run before the kid wakes up and the work day starts, so that's when it's getting done.  It helps a bit that it's summer, and so running after 9am is just intolerable.

Today's run of five miles started slowly, which is typical for both mornings and mornings after deadlifts.   But the splits improved:  10:21;10:28; 9:54; 9:50; 9:16.

Here's an interesting piece on rethinking the importance of dietary fat.  Here's the issue in a nutshell.  Mid-20th century Americans arguably ate too much meat and fatty foods, but the dietary advice framed the problem in terms of the macronutrient fat, instead of calling for less consumption of meat and dairy.

And you just have to look at the shelves in your average grocery store to see what happened.  It's pretty easy for food scientists to ensure that packaged food embodies the latest trend.  Low-fat? Low-carb?  Gluten-free?  Omega-3s and DHAs and the rest of the alphabet soup?

I don't know if our diets truly needed to be changed.  But if they did, it seems that we went the wrong way about it.  Instead of eating fewer cookies, we ate low-fat cookies, and pretended that they didn't count.   Instead of eating less yogurt, we came up with 100 calorie key-lime lite yogurt with Splenda.

This will never be a diet blog, because I am categorically against counting calories.  I care about nutrition, however, and I'm humbled by how little we know.

 In the meantime, I'm selfishly hoping for a backlash that makes it easier for me to find more whole milk yogurt...

No comments:

Post a Comment