Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Oh my apricots.

I promise you this will never be a running and food blog, because a) Hungry Runner Girl wannabes are a dime a dozen (nothing against HRG, but there are soo many candy! running! yay! imitators out there!)  and b) I am not fantastically excited about spinach salads.

Nevertheless, my cups runneth over with apricots.
Lego Duplo included for scale.
Seriously, this is getting a little ridiculous. We have one tiny tree.  Last year a late frost zapped all of the blossoms, and this year they're all over the place.  

So, I'm going to be making jam, but I also made a delicious apricot sorbet based on this version of the Perfect Scoop's sorbet.

  • 2lb ripe-to-squishy apricots.  (Mine are small -- I used about thirty.)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 T white wine.  (Totally optional, but it helps keep the sorbet soft and scoopable.)
Remove the pits from the apricots, put them in a saucepan, add a cup of water.  Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer it for about ten minutes.  Stir it when you feel like it -- this isn't a fussy recipe. 

So unfussy that you can blog while it simmers...
When the apricots are very gooshy, remove them from the heat.  Add the sugar and stir it till it dissolves, then add the vanilla and the white wine.  Let it cool, then puree it.  Chill it thoroughly, and then freeze it in your ice cream maker.  This recipe makes about four cups of sorbet.  

Oh, right, this is my running blog.  

An easy four miles today at the crack of dawn, averaging 9:30 pace.  I prefer to run on trails or service roads, as the camber on the streets tends to aggravate my hip, but today I felt the need to hit the pavement and some of the rolling hills on my route (+/- 200 feet.)  So away I trotted at six AM, and came home, looked in the mirror, and discovered that apparently a flying ant had crashed into my face and drowned in my sweat.

So glamorous.  


No comments:

Post a Comment