Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

After the fire

My running trail looks like the moon:


No one was hurt, nor was there any property damage, so I am free to appreciate the eerie beauty of the landscape.  The contrast with the surrounding hill is striking:


It smells like over-toasted marshmallows.  


There's a peace to the burned land that is hard to describe.  It will recover in a few years.  I am tempted to seed it with local wildflowers.  Wouldn't that be great?  A spot on the mountain all covered in Western paintbrushes and columbines and globe mallows.  A riot of color.

I like to imagine this little guy fought hard.  He retains some green yet.


Here you can see how close the fire came to disaster.  One spark over the fire road, and the town would have been in trouble:


----

Today was a much needed rest day for me.  Tomorrow intervals; Friday a long run; Saturday, a fun trail race!  More later.






No comments:

Post a Comment